Cooperation with Georgia
Human Rights Council
- While the resolution contains several paragraphs critical of the “authorities exercising effective control" in Abkhazia, Georgia and the Tskhinvali region/South Ossetia, this vague reference is not sufficient to render this resolution condemnatory against Russia which is not mentioned by name in the resolution. Although many consider these territories to be illegally occupied by Russia, the “authorities” are not Russia itself but a local puppet regime.
- Furthermore, the High Commissioner's report mentioned in the resolution similarly uses the term “authorities in control” and refers separately to the Russian Federation when it is talking about Russia. This confirms that the term “authorities in control” does not mean Russia, even if the criticism is implicitly directed at Russia.
Yes - 19, No - 8, Abstain - 19
- "Expressing serious concern at the continued process of installation and advancement of barbed wire fences and different artificial barriers,which are enforced periodically along the administrative boundary line in Abkhazia, Georgia and Tskhinvali region/South Ossetia, Georgia..."
- "Expressing serious concern at various forms of reported discrimination against ethnic Georgians, infringements of the right to life, the right to liberty and security of person..."
- "Expressing serious concern also at the negative consequences of the prolonged closure of the so-called crossing points and the increasing restrictions on freedom of movement..."
- "Expressing serious concern further at the lack of accountability for unlawful killings of ethnic Georgians committed in the period from 2014 to 2019..."
- "Expressing concern that internally displaced persons and refugees continue to be deprived of the right to return to their homes in Abkhazia, Georgia and the Tskhinvali region/South Ossetia, Georgia in a safe and dignified manner."
- "Demands that immediate and unimpeded access be given to the Office of the High Commissioner and international and regional human rights mechanisms to Abkhazia, Georgia and the Tskhinvali region/South Ossetia, Georgia."
- Czech Republic
- Marshall Islands
- United Kingdom
- Burkina Faso
- Ivory Coast
- South Korea