Situation of human rights in Myanmar
Human Rights Council
- The resolution strongly condemns the February 2021 military coup in Myanmar and serious violations by the Myanmar armed forces, including arbitrary arrests, disproportionate use of force, and violations against the Rohingya. The resolution also extends the mandate of the Special Rapporteur and endorses the work of the Independent International Fact-Finding Mission and the Independent Investigative Mechanism.
- In the past, Myanmar strongly objected to this resolution, calling it “politicized” and “one-sided” and “categorically rejected” the FFM and the extension of its mandate.
- Moreover, the resolution was adopted under Item 4, the primary framework for addressing country-specific human rights situations, signaling criticism.
- "Condemns in the strongest terms the military coup carried out in Myanmar and the deposition of the elected civilian Government by the Myanmar armed forces on 1 February 2021, which constitutes an unacceptable attempt to forcibly overturn the results of the general elections of 8 November 2020…"
- "Condemns unequivocally the execution of four political prisoners on 25 July 2022 following trials widely reported as lacking the minimum guarantees required by international human rights law…"
- "Condemns the deliberate, widespread, indiscriminate and disproportionate use of force against civilians, including by air strikes and by the indiscriminate and continuous use of lethal force and misuse of less-lethal weapons, by the Myanmar armed and security forces…"
- "Calls for the immediate and unconditional release of President Win Myint, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and all those who have been arbitrarily detained, charged, arrested, convicted or sentenced on specious grounds…"
- "Expresses grave concern at continuing reports of serious human rights violations and abuses by the military and security forces, as well as violations of international humanitarian law in Myanmar, notably against the Rohingya…"
- "Condemns in the strongest terms the attack on a school and killings of 16 September 2022 in Sagaing Region, as well as any indiscriminate attacks against children by the Myanmar military…"
- "Decides to extend the mandate of Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in Myanmar, for a further period of one year…"