Technical assistance and capacity-building in the field of human rights in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
Human Rights Council
Democratic Republic of Congo
- This resolution is critical of the security situation in the Eastern part of the country and condemns violations without naming perpetrators. Some criticism is specifically directed at armed groups.
- The resolution also contains a fair amount of praise for the government, which supported the resolution.
- Moreover, the resolution was adopted under Item 10, which concerns mere "technical assistance," signaling an uncritical approach.
- "Deeply concerned about the continuing human rights violations and abuses being committed against children and women in the east and certain areas of the west of the country, in the light of the report by the team of international experts on the Democratic Republic of the Congo…"
- "Concerned by the deteriorating security and human rights conditions in some sectors in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo…"
- "Concerned also about the use of hate speech in contravention of article 20 (2) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights."
- "Concerned about the humanitarian consequences of the violence affecting civilian populations, particularly children and women…"
- "Condemns all violations of human rights, as well as the illicit exploitation of natural resources, in particular in the areas affected by armed or intercommunal conflict in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where the situation continues to lead to significant population displacement."
- "Also condemns the activities of armed groups and the resurgence of attacks against civilians, the international forces of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, humanitarian actors and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo by rebel and terrorist groups…"
- "Strongly condemns any support given by anyone to these rebel and terrorist groups that roam the country…"
- "Condemns the attack on a helicopter belonging to the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo in Kiwanja, in the province of North Kivu, on 5 February 2023…"
- "Decides to renew, for one year, the mandate of the team of international experts in the Democratic Republic of the Congo…"