The human rights impact of the ongoing conflict in the Sudan
Human Rights Council
- This resolution, which is the product of a special session, condemns the recent outbreak of violence in Sudan between the military and paramilitary (RSF). It is directed at all parties but clearly implicates the current military regime.
- Moreover, Sudan objected to the resolution and voted against it.
United Kingdom, Germany, Norway, United States
Yes - 18, No - 15, Abstain - 14, Absent - 0
- "Reaffirming its condemnation in the strongest possible terms of the military takeover on 25 October 2021 by the Sudanese military against the transitional Government…"
- "Expresses its grave concern at the serious outbreak of conflict and escalation of violence in the Sudan between the Sudanese Armed Forces and the Rapid Support Forces, which could undermine the progress made towards a peaceful transition to democracy and stability in the Sudan."
- "Calls for an immediate cessation of violence by all parties…"
- "Condemns all reported violations and abuses of human rights and violations of international humanitarian law, including reported acts of sexual and gender-based violence, committed since the start of hostilities by all parties to the conflict across the country…"
- "Condemns any attacks on humanitarian and health workers, and on the premises and members of international organizations, civil society organizations and the diplomatic community in the Sudan…"
- "Condemns all acts of intimidation or reprisal against human rights defenders, community, health and humanitarian workers, and other civil society actors…"
- "Decides that the mandate of the designated Expert of the High Commissioner on human rights in the Sudan should, with immediate effect, also include detailed monitoring and documentation of, and reporting to the Human Rights Council on, all allegations of human rights violations and abuses since 25 October 2021…"
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
- United States
- United Arab Emirates
- Ivory Coast
- South Africa