Situation of and assistance to Palestinian women
- The resolution blames "Israeli occupation" for problems faced by Palestinian women and does not account for any other factors, such as the Palestinian legal regime or socio-cultural factors. In fact, the resolution absolves the Palestinian Authority of responsibility by stating that its "ability to protect Palestinian women and girls" is undermined by "limitations on Palestinian jurisdiction in the Occupied Palestinian Territory..."
- Moreover, Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East where women enjoy full equality under the law. Although women in other countries, like Iran and Saudi Arabia, are subjected to institutionalized discrimination, such countries have never been the subject of critical resolutions by ECOSOC for their treatment of women.
Group of 77 and China
Yes - 43, No - 3, Abstain - 8
- "Expressing grave concern about the continuing systematic violation of the human rights of the Palestinian people by Israel, the occupying Power, and its impact on women and girls."
- "Reaffirms that the Israeli occupation remains a major obstacle for Palestinian women and girls with regard to the fulfilment of their rights, and their advancement, self-reliance and integration in the development of their society."
- "Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to immediately cease all measures contrary to international law, as well as discriminatory legislation, policies and actions in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, that violate the human rights of the Palestinian people..."
- El Salvador
- South Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- United States