Human rights situation in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, and the obligation to ensure accountability and justice
Human Rights Council
- This Item 2 resolution strongly condemns Israel for multiple serious violations, makes one-sided demands of Israel, and accuses Israel of discrimination in its distribution of COVID-19 vaccinations. The resolution denies Israel's right to self-defense, repeatedly condemning Israel for various security measures taken to defend its citizens from Palestinian terrorism, including its blockade of Gaza, the West Bank security barrier, and West Bank security checkpoints.
- For the second year in a row, the resolution combines two resolutions – one on accountability and one on human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories – reducing the total number of resolutions against Israel from five to four and taking a second resolution (human rights in the OPT) out of Item 7. Nevertheless, it is completely one-sided with no praise for Israel and, with the exception of a few lines condemning rocket attacks without naming Hamas or other terror groups, completely fails to address Palestinian violations.
Yes - 37, No - 3, Abstain - 7
- "Gravely concerned that long-standing impunity for international law violations has allowed for the recurrence of grave breaches and serious violations without consequence…"
- "Expressing grave concern at reports of serious human rights violations and grave breaches of international humanitarian law, including of possible war crimes and crimes against humanity, in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem…"
- "Deploring all policies and practices whereby Israeli settlers who reside illegally in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including East Jerusalem, are accorded preferential treatment over the Palestinian population…"
- "Expressing deep concern that thousands of Palestinians, including many children, women, elected members of the Palestinian Legislative Council and human rights defenders, continue to be detained, including under terms of administrative detention with limited or no judicial recourse, and held in Israeli prisons or detention centres under harsh conditions…"
- "Demands that Israel, the occupying Power, withdraw from the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967, including East Jerusalem..."
- "Also demands that Israel, the occupying Power, comply with its legal obligations under international law, as mentioned in the advisory opinion rendered on 9 July 2004 by the International Court of Justice...and that it immediately cease the construction of the wall in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including in and around East Jerusalem..."
- "Demands that Israel, the occupying Power, cease immediately its imposition of prolonged closures and economic and movement restrictions, including those amounting to a blockade on the Gaza Strip..."
- "Condemns all acts of violence, including all acts of terror, provocation, incitement and destruction, including unlawful lethal and other excessive use of force by Israeli occupying forces against Palestinian civilians..."
- "Urges all States to refrain from transferring arms when, in accordance with applicable national procedures and international obligations and standards..."
- "Calls upon Israel, the occupying Power, to comply immediately with its international law obligations to the protected occupied population, and ensure non-discriminatory access to vaccines for immunization against the coronavirus disease..."
- Ivory Coast
- South Korea
- United Arab Emirates
- United States
- Marshall Islands
- United Kingdom