Trending UN Watch tweets from March: Venezuelan dissident Maria Corina Machado exposes the Maduro regime’s crimes at the UNHRC; China joins UNHRC, reviews the U.S. record on human rights; European states vote for an anti-Israel UNHRC resolution while Bahrain refuses; Israeli Arab refutes vaccine “racism” libel at UNHRC.
UN Human Rights Council Begins 2021 Session
The UN Human Rights Council just began its 2021 session.
60% of its members fail to meet minimal human rights standards.
UNHRC members include:
I am not making this up.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 2, 2021
Venezuelan Dissident Exposes Maduro’s Crimes at UNHRC
Watch what happened at the U.N. Human Rights Council when Venezuelan dissident @MariaCorinaYA exposed the crimes of Maduro, a UNHRC member.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 11, 2021
China Welcomed Into UNHRC, Reviews U.S. Human Rights Record and Declares Partnership With Arab States
No joke: UNHRC member China just reviewed the U.S. human rights record. “China is deeply concerned about deterioration of human rights situation in the U.S. Muslims, refugees & immigrants are faced with discrimination.“
China. Herded. One. Million. Muslims. Into. Camps. https://t.co/JuBIcGVomg
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 18, 2021
you herded 1 million uighur muslims into camps https://t.co/YQkFKOg7LT
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 7, 2021
On the 15th anniversary of the U.N.'s highest human rights body, they welcomed a man who herded 1 million Uighurs into camps, jails human rights activists, crushed Tibet, disappeared courageous men & women who sounded the alarm on the coronavirus, and suffocated freedom in Hong. pic.twitter.com/wx1vSgYZe9
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 4, 2021
European States Vote For Anti-Israel UNHRC Resolution; Bahrain refuses
Arab country Bahrain refused to vote for today's absurdly biased UNHRC resolution against Israel.
France, Germany, Netherlands, Italy & Denmark did. https://t.co/hPQkxWiGPL
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 23, 2021
Israeli Arab Refutes Vaccine “Racism” Libel at UNHRC
“Thank you, Madam President. My name is @YosephHaddad and I'm an Israeli Arab. Accusations have been made that Israel's coronavirus vaccine program is ‘racist.’
This is false. Like me, my family, friends and hundreds of thousands of other Israeli Arabs have been vaccinated.“ pic.twitter.com/lXWMn3LqAa
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) March 16, 2021
Liking, retweeting, following: UN Watch tweets were liked and shared by thousands around the world, including by opinion leaders and celebrities such as:
- Venezuelan diplomat & former UN Security Council President Diego Arria
- Russian opposition activists Alexei Navalny and Lyubov Sobol, Venezuelan opposition politician Maria Corina Machado, Pakistani human rights activist Gulalai Ismail, Iranian dissident Masih Alinejad, Chinese human rights activists Teng Biao and Chen Guangcheng, Hong Kong democracy activist Jeffrey Ngo, Uighur rights advocate Nury Turkel, Zimbabwean pro-democracy activist Pastor Evan Mawarire, Turkish fashion designer & activist Barbaros Sansal, Nigerian activist Aisha Yesufu, Human Rights Foundation president Thor Halvorssen
- Former U.S. governor & Democratic National Committee chair Howard Dean
- Canadian ambassador to the DRC Nicolas Simard, Canadian senator Paula Simons, Canadian MPs Kenny Chiu, Ya’ara Saks, Sonia Sidhu, Marc Miller, Anthony Housefather, Adam van Koeverden, Sven Spengemann, and Greg Fergus
- Israeli ambassador to the US and UN Gilad Erdan, Israeli ambassador to Belgium Emmanuel Nahshon, Israeli ambassador to Denmark Benny Dagan, Israeli ambassador to Czech Republic Daniel Meron, Israeli ambassador to Kazakhstan & Kyrgyzstan Liat Wexelman, Israeli ambassador to the UN in Geneva Meirav Eilon Shahar, former Israeli ambassador to India Daniel Carmon, former Israeli MK Michal Cotler-Wunsh
- Foundation for Defense of Democracies President Clifford May, Executive Director of Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies Kyle Matthews, AJC Transatlantic Institute Director Daniel Schwammenthal
- Israeli-American computer scientist and philosopher Judea Pearl
- Lead singer of The Cure Robert Smith, Irish actor Rory Cowan, former NBA basketball player Andrew Bogut
Many journalists also liked or shared UN Watch’s tweets, including:
- Washington Post columnist and CNN contributor Frida Ghitis, Miami Herald columnist Andrés Oppenheimer, Wall Street Journal editor Mary O’Grady, The Atlantic senior editor David Frum, National Review senior editor Jay Nordlinger, New York Post journalist Jon Levine
- Toronto Sun columnists Lorrie Goldstein, Tarek Fatah, and Brian Lilley, National Post journalists John Ivison and Terry Glavin, Toronto Star journalists Jeremy Nuttall, David Rider and columnist Edward Keenan, Globe & Mail columnist Andrew Coyne and journalists Robert Fife and Simon Houpt, CBC reporter Jennifer Quesnel, CTV News reporter Cindy Sherwin, Sun News columnist Mark Towhey, Montreal Gazette journalist Rene Bruemmer
- Spectator journalist Stephen Daisley, Die Welt correspondent Clemens Wergin, Bild journalist Daniel Cremer
- South China Morning Post journalist Bernice Chan
- Sky News Australia hosts Rita Panahi, Australian News Ltd. columnist Miranda Devine
- Jerusalem Post journalists Lahav Harkov and Tovah Lazaroff, Haaretz columnist Gadi Taub, Jewish Chronicle editor Stephen Pollard