The UNHRC’s “urgent debate on the raid on the flotilla” continued this morning. Libya accused “Zionist gangs” of committing a “massacre,” but Canada urged all states “not to rush to conclusions before all facts are known.” The plenary is expected to vote on a final text of the draft resolution around 2pm Geneva time.
- Syria applauded the “martyrs” of the flotilla and condemned the “piracy committed by Israel.” Calling for “an end to the state terrorism practiced by Israel,” Syria accused Israel of “acting wrongly, helping bloodshed and further extremism, and beating the drums of war.”
- Libya called the deaths incurred during the attack a “massacre” and accused Israel of “continuing these crimes on a daily basis.”
- Iraq called the attack a “clear violation of international law because this attack targeted civilians and vessels of a purely humanitarian nature.”
- The League of Arab States called Israel “another preaching democracy committing another heinous crime” and called on the international community “to move swiftly.”
- Austria, Iceland, Panama and El Salvador called for an investigation into the incident. However, Canada urged all states “not to rush to conclusions before all facts are known.” Canada expressed concern for the condition of people living in Gaza but “can strongly understand Israel’s concerns about terrorism from Gaza that threatens their national security.”
Summary prepared by Cindy D. Tan with reporting by Maile Miller.