Activists to Call for Rejection of Iran’s Election
to UN Women’s Rights Commission
NEW YORK, May 2, 2021 — In wake of last week’s election of the Islamic Republic of Iran to the UN Commission on the Status of Women, the independent human rights group UN Watch, together with the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights and the Macdonald-Laurier Institute, invites journalists to register for an online briefing and press conference on Monday, May 3rd, at 10:00 am Eastern time (16:00 Central European Time), featuring leading human rights activists from Iran.
Iranian experts and women’s rights activists will issue a call to reject the election of the Iranian government, detailing why its membership violates the basic mission of the UN commission for gender quality and the empowerment of women.
In light of UN Watch’s report finding that at least four EU and Western Group democracies voted for Iran’s candidacy, by secret ballot, panelists will call on all democracies to clarify how they voted, and to condemn Iran’s election.
Program: Panel On Iran’s Election to CSW
• Hillel Neuer, UN Watch Executive Director
• Kaveh Shahrooz, human rights lawyer and policy expert
• Shaparak Shajarizadeh, Iranian activist imprisoned for removing headscarf in defiance of hijab law
• Mariam Memarsadeghi, leading activist for a democratic Iran
• Darya Safai, member of Belgian parliament and human rights activist
REGISTRATION: This event is exclusively for accredited media. To request access to the online video press conference, please contact Hilary Miller at media-NY@unwatch.org.
CLICK HERE FOR REPORT ON IRAN’S ELECTION TO CSW