Trending UN Watch tweets from July: Russian president Vladimir Putin meets with Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei; Venezuela’s Maduro regime announces candidacy for UNHRC re-election; North Korea attacks U.S. human rights record; man arrested with loaded gun outside Iranian activist Masih Alinejad‘s home; UN ECOSOC rebukes Israel only for violating women’s rights; UNHRC Commission of Inquiry member Miloon Kothari makes antisemitic remarks; UN Watch charges Palestinian Authority with systematic torture.
Emotional moment today as one of the longest-serving former members of the U.N. Human Rights Council (left) meets one of the newest members of the U.N. Women's Rights Commission. pic.twitter.com/XOA89jJ5tX
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 19, 2022
Four months ago, the Islamic Republic of Iran joined the United Nations Women's Rights Commission. Our democracies were all silent about this moral obscenity because they were trying to negotiate an Iran nuclear deal with the murderous mullahs.https://t.co/EzKREjfLh1
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 20, 2022
Venezuela’s Maduro Regime Announces Candidacy for UNHRC Re-election
BREAKING: Venezuela's Maduro regime has announced its candidacy to run for re-election to the United Nations Human Rights Council.
Credentials: Destroyed his country; starved his people; crushed pro-democracy dissidents; caused 5 million to flee. Which means he's likely to win. pic.twitter.com/oEmMeFoRJL
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 24, 2022
North Korea Attacks U.S. Human Rights Record
🇰🇵 North Korea to the U.N. Human Rights Council: "The United States is a wasteland of human rights." pic.twitter.com/8cUcRXdWSR
— UN Watch (@UNWatch) July 6, 2022
UN ECOSOC Rebukes Israel Only for Violating Women’s Rights
No joke: U.N. rebukes Israel alone in the world as a violator of women's rights. Iran, Saudi, Taliban ignored.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 28, 2022
Man Arrested with Loaded Gun Outside Iranian Activist’s Home
A man was arrested with a loaded AK-47 assault rifle outside the New York home of an Iranian-born activist who was the target of a kidnapping plot orchestrated last year by agents of the Iranian regime.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 31, 2022
UNHRC Commission of Inquiry Member Makes Antisemitic Remarks
Like you, I am shocked to discover that a member of the UNHRC inquiry on Israel—created by the PLO & Pakistan, and headed by a woman who has called to “Sanction Apartheid Israel!”—has made antisemitic and anti-Israel remarks. If only there had been some way to foresee this.
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 30, 2022
UN Watch Charges Palestinian Authority With Systematic Torture
BREAKING: The Palestinian Authority tortures human rights activists, women, LGBT persons, political opponents, so-called “collaborators,” and Palestinians who sell land to Jews, UN Watch charged today, ahead of the UN's first-ever review of the PA record.https://t.co/0ErC1ZN7ql
— Hillel Neuer (@HillelNeuer) July 14, 2022
Liking, retweeting, following: UN Watch tweets were liked and shared by thousands around the world, including by opinion leaders and celebrities such as:
- Outgoing UN Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Religion Ahmed Shaheed
- Former Bolivian president Tuto Quiroga, former Estonian president Toomas Hendrik Ilves
- UK ambassador to the UN in Geneva Simon Manley
- Iranian women’s rights activist Masih Alinejad, Russian opposition politician Vladimir Kara-Murza & opposition activist Lyubov Sobol, world chess champion Garry Kasparov, Cuban human rights activist Rosa María Payá, Zimbabwean pro-democracy activist Pastor Evan Mawarire, Saudi dissident Raif Badawi, Chinese cartoonist Badiucao
- Former U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley, former U.S. National Security Council member Alexander Vindman
- Canadian MP Anthony Housefather
- Member of UK House of Lords Sarah Ludford, Dutch MP Gert-Jan Segers
- Israeli minister Orit Farkash Hacohen, Israeli MK Ruth Wasserman Lande
- Foundation for Defense of Democracies president Clifford May & CEO Mark Dubowitz, Montreal Institute for Genocide and Human Rights Studies executive director Kyle Matthews, Inter-Parliamentary Alliance on China coordinator Luke de Pulford, Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt, Lawyers Without Borders president William Goldnadel, Freedom House, Simon Wiesenthal Center
- Hedge fund manager Kyle Bass
- U.S. actress Mia Farrow, U.S. actor and commentator Dean Cain, U.S. singer David Draiman, UK TV presenter Rachel Riley
Many journalists also liked or shared UN Watch’s tweets, including:
- CNN anchor Jake Tapper & contributor Frida Ghitis, National Review senior editor Jay Nordlinger, contributing editor Andrew Stuttaford & foreign affairs reporter James Quinn, Commentary executive editor Abe Greenwald, The Atlantic writer Yair Rosenberg
- Sky News Australia host Rita Panahi