UN Rapporteur Falk Calls for Shutdown of UN Watch and “Legitimacy War Against Israel”
>> Top Human Rights Council official Richard Falk called on the world body to shut down UN Watch
>> UN Watch fought back this week in a dramatic confrontation, exposing Falk’s abuses on the floor of the UN council Click here for video
>> Supporters worldwide are rallying to support UN Watch, contributing toward an emergency $50,000 campaign to defend the NGO against Falk’s attack.
Click here to learn more
Richard Falk is the U.N.’s permanent investigator against Israel. He endorses 9/11 conspiracy theories, supports Hamas, and exonerates Al Qaeda. Days after the Boston Marathon terrorist attack, he blamed it on America and Israel, calling it an act of “resistance.”
Because UN Watch successfully exposed his abuses, got him roundly condemned by world leaders (click here to see new video), and circulated a draft resolution to fire him, Falk is now calling for a Human Rights Council investigation of UN Watch’s credentials—to effectively shut down the organization. It’s unclear who would head such an inquiry.
In an unprecedented act, Falk’s new report to the Human Rights Council devotes a scathing rant against a non-governmental organization.
Falk lashes out at UN Watch, saying we’ve made his life a living hell — that we’ve completely disrupted his declared plan for a “Legitimacy War against Israel.”
In his own words, Falk testifies to UN Watch’s incredible impact:
- Falk objects that UN Watch “demeaned” and “defamed” his character, damaged his “credibility,”and destroyed the “effectiveness” of his mandate.
- Falk expresses outrage that UN Watch got world leaders—and even his own boss, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon—to denounce him.
- Falk complains that UN Watch “smears” have been “sent to diplomats and United Nations officials, including the Secretary-General, who apparently accepted the allegations at face value, issuing public criticism with no effort to seek my views.”
- Falk laments that UN Watch won’t give him a moment’s rest, and that our “smear campaign” is carried out “in numerous settings,” from the UN to “university venues where the Special Rapporteur gives lectures.”
- Falk’s report concludes that UN Watch has managed to “divert attention” from his “message” and to “shift public interest away” from his campaign of boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel.
In Falk’s logic, if a group opposes Israel’s right to defend itself against Hamas rockets, it’s a legitimate NGO; if a group opposes the obsession of anti-Israel prejudice at the UN — as founders Eleanor Roosevelt and Rene Cassin did — it’s a sham and shill for the Zionist Entity, and not a real NGO.
But UN Watch has already begun to fight back, and important voices are speaking out.
- On Friday, ADL Executive Director Abe Foxman and Heritage Foundation’s Brett Schaefer rallied to defend UN Watch, as did U.S. Ambassador Eileen Chamberlain Donahoe, who declared that“the United States completely rejects and condemns the irresponsible call to investigate a legitimate and UN-accredited NGO.”
- An extraordinary scene took place yesterday when the Canadian Parliament rose for a standing ovation in support of UN Watch, as Jason Kenny, Canada’s Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, announced his country’s support for the NGO against Richard Falk’s attack.
|PARLIAMENT OF CANADA|
June 12, 2013Mr. Larry Miller (Bruce—Grey—Owen Sound, CPC): “Mr. Speaker, Richard Falk has once again disgraced himself. Mr. Falk is once again attacking UN Watch, an NGO led by Canadian Hillel Neuer, and called for it to be investigated. This is McCarthyism in the worse sense of the term. Will the Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism inform the House whether the government agrees with Mr. Falk or not?”Hon. Jason Kenney (Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism, CPC): “Mr. Speaker, Richard Falk is an embarrassment to the United Nations Human Rights Council. He has praised 9/11 conspiracy theorists repeatedly. He has suggested that the United States provoked terrorist attacks against it. He is now attacking Canadian-led UN Watch. We call on Richard Falk to be fired as a special rapporteur of the United Nations Human Rights Council. He is a disgrace to that body and the United Nations.”