Dissidents To Contest UNHRC Candidates Ahead of Tuesday’s Elections,
Opposing China, Russia, Cuba, Saudi Arabia & Pakistan
NEW YORK, October 7, 2020 — Ahead of next week’s election of 15 new member states to the United Nations Human Rights Council, the independent human rights group UN Watch invites journalists to register for an online briefing and press conference on Friday, October 9th, at 10:00 am Eastern time, featuring leading human rights dissidents from five of the candidate countries: China, Russia, Cuba, Saudi Arabia, and Pakistan.
Program: Briefing On UNHRC Elections and Candidates
• Hillel Neuer, UN Watch Executive Director, to present the Joint NGO Report on UNHRC Elections
• Yang Jianli, President of Initiatives for China, former political prisoner
• Rosa Maria Paya, Cuban human rights activist, daughter of late dissident Oswaldo Paya
• Vladimir Kara-Murza, Russian democracy activist and vice president of the Free Russia Foundation
• Taha Siddiqui, Award-winning Pakistani journalist exiled in Paris, attacked for criticizing the military
• Saudi Arabian dissident TBD
REGISTRATION: This event is exclusively for accredited media. To request access to the online video press conference, please contact Hilary Miller at media-NY@unwatch.org.