For comment on the final vote and vote results, see here.
Ahead of the October 28 UNGA election of candidates for 2017-2019 UNHRC seats, UN Watch has been leading the campaign with a coalition of NGOs to oppose the re-election of Saudi Arabia, Russia, China and Cuba, as well as the new election bids of Egypt, Iraq, Malaysia and Rwanda, by lobbying governments, and through online petitions, high profile parliamentary events, UN press conferences, university lectures, YouTube videos, and op-eds in the Washington Post and other major newspapers.
Following are key campaign resources for activists and journalists:
Report on Candidates
Click here for the report, by UN Watch, Human Rights Foundation and the Raoul Wallenberg Centre for Human Rights, analyzing which candidates should be rejected.
Absurd Pledges by Dictatorships
Dictatorships have published and submitted to the UN absurd claims about their human rights record, which have been analyzed and exposed by UN Watch:
- Saudi Arabia’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
- China’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
- Cuba’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
- Russia’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
- Egypt’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
- Iraq’s absurd UNHRC campaign election platform
Quotes by Dissidents & Activists
Click here for quotable comments on the election by leading human rights dissidents and activists.
- Expel Saudi Arabia from the UN Human Rights Council
- No to Vladimir Putin on the UN Human Rights Council
- #StopSaudi: Vote NO to Saudi Arabia on the UN Human Rights Council
- #StopRussia: Right vs. Wrong at the UN
Victim Testimonies & Press Conferences
Click here for a series of YouTube videos featuring victim testimonies, and NGO press conferences, opposing the election of abusers to the UNHRC for 2017-2019.
Click here for the Washington Post op-ed by Yang Jianli, Chinese dissident and UN Watch board member, opposing the re-election of China.
Latest Blog Posts
Click here to see more of UN Watch’s latest blog posts on all aspects of the 2016 UNHRC elections.
Click here for hi-res images from UN Watch events held with Human Rights Foundation and others.
Media Interviews & News Reports
- IPS – “Reject Abusers from UN Human Rights Council: Advocacy Groups”
- CNS News – UN Members Unlikely to Reject Russia in This Week’s Human Rights Council Election
- Globe & Mail – Canada should refuse to vote human-rights abusers to UN council, MP alliance says
- National Post – ‘Shining a light on the hypocrisy’: Canada urged to vote against human rights abusers
(also featured in Ottawa Citizen and Montreal Gazette)
- CTV – Vote against including China in UN Human Rights Council, MPs urge
- ipolitics.ca – Stop letting human rights abusers sit on UN human rights council: MPs
- Epoch Times – Rights Advocates Call for Change at UN Human Rights Council—China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Cuba up for re-election